Complete Moving Checklist For A Successful Move
When it comes to moving, it can be a very overwhelming process, this is why we suggest you hire a professional moving company like Lifetime Moving Co. These crews will help with sorting and packing as well as making sure your move is as easy and smooth as possible. This allows you to enjoy your move, start designing your new home and take any stress out of the equation. Below is a moving checklist we have come up with to help you get ready for your move!
TWO WEEKS BEFORE
• Arrange to transfer or close your bank account. If necessary, clear out your safety deposit box, and put the contents in a safe box you’ll take in the car for your move.
• If you have pets, make sure you have a veterinarian selected near your new home in case there is an emergency.
ONE WEEK BEFORE
• Try to complete packing a few days before moving day. Have your boxes labeled and numbered. Pack and clearly mark an “essentials” box of items you’ll need right away.
• Set aside things you’ll personally bring to your new home such as jewelry, laptop computers and important files including medical and financial records.
• Pick up items from cleaners, repair shops, or friends.
A FEW DAYS BEFORE
• Empty, clean, and defrost the refrigerator at least 24 hours before your move. Or get an ice chest to put perishable items from the fridge.
• Disassemble stereos, TVs, beds, mirrors, etc.
• If you are not paying by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), get a money order,
a cashier’s check, or cash to pay the movers.
• Prepare detailed directions to your new home for the movers. Also, write down your contact information (a cell phone number and email address are ideal).
• Have utilities turned on at your new address a day before the move date (gas, electricity, water).
• Pack a separate bag with blankets and pillows to make your bed.
• Plan to be home for the entire time it takes the movers to get packed and loaded. Be present to answer questions and give directions to the movers. Stay until they finish.
• Accompany movers as they inventory your household goods and resolve any questions regarding the condition of materials being moved.
• Before the moving van leaves, take one final look throughout the house to make sure nothing is left behind.
• At your new home, show movers where to place furniture and boxes.
• Unpack valuable items first, such as silver, art, jewelry.
CARRY WITH YOU
• Keys and directions to your new home.
• Money, cash, or credit card.
• A laptop computer and handheld devices.
• Jewelry & valuable items.
• Important records & documents.
• Sheets and towels for the first night in your new home.
• Personal hygiene items e.g. toothpaste, soap, and razor.